Yield: 2- 9inch round cakes
Total Time: 1.5 hours
gather the goods
2 1/4 C all purpose flour
1 1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Vegetable Oil
3/4 C Orange Juice ***
9 Eggs separated
1/4 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 tablespoon Lemon Extract (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until soft- to medium peaks form and set aside.
2. Sift all the dry ingredients together and with the mixer running on medium slowly stream in the oil and orange juice until a smooth consistency is reached. Add the egg yolks one at a time until fully incorporated.
3. Add the extracts, mix, and turn off the mixer. Fold in the egg whites (starting from the middle center, out and repeat) in three additions being careful not to deflate the eggs. You want to make sure that there are no whites showing in the batter!
4. Although some bakers tap their cakes before baking, do not do this! You want as many air bubbles as possible for that spongy texture! Bake the cake on the bottom shelf of the oven until lightly golden and springy, about 1 hour.
6. Immediately Invert the cake to prevent deflation and cool before icing!
If you want to fill and assemble the cake as I did, see link below for Bon Appetite's...